Thursday, December 13, 2012
As a stutterer I have had to accept that, as much as I would like to imitate other people, to speak as fast quickly as other people, I cannot always do that. I am a stutterer, thus there are certain facts about my physiology and psychology that are, as far as we know, permanent. I have to remind myself that I need to speak the way that is best for me, not simply at the speed of most other people I come into contact with. For me, for the most part, that means speaking much slower than I am accustomed to. Not only do I have greater muscular control when I speak slower, but it helps me avoid the typical avoidance behavior of speaking very quickly to just get the speaking over with. As my speech therapist has told me, one of our main goals is to get a place where I can genuinely enjoy speaking, and cease, gradually, to fear it. For a stutterer, most communicative situations are avoided and feared, which just makes everything worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment