Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The more input of the language you receive, the more you begin to notice the "nodes", the phrases and words that are used so frequently and that accumulate many different meanings. This is much more apparent in spoken language, where, at least in English and Portuguese, and i imagine in most other languages, there is a strong bias towards efficiency. A word such as "get" or "run" or "do," which can take on dozens of meanings. And the process of learning this versatility seems a natural result of the process of receiving more and more input. In watching a Brazilian movie, for example, and listening to native, informal speech, i hear the verb "dar" used over and over again. The groove is being formed slowly, and with it my ability to live within this word. It's helpful that I have learned how to play ano instrument. When i am playing the saxophone, i don't so much think of individual notes, i just play what i "hear." I cant do this nearly as well as more dedicated saxophone players, but I can do it well enough to be musical. It's interesting considering the input hypothesis in terms of input. What is the effect of listening to so much jazz, for example, in one's quest to be "fluent" in jazz. In my experience, the effect is enormous. I often find myself just creating a musical phrase with little idea as to how it came out of me. Rhythms, melodies, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment