Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'll have to find the link at Khatz's site later, but I read a post about learning how to say simple things, and how important and overlooked this often is in language learning. Example: I'm watching an episode of Hey Arnold, and Rhonda says to Lila, "What about you, Lila?" She says "Que tal você, Lila?" Before hearing the Portuguese, I tried to guess how she would have said it...maybe my guess would have been correct, but it's best to hear, again, native-speaker version. I've found in these everyday, "small" phrases a lot of illumination, because it is here that is often the least difficult to translate directly from English (and one of my goals is to get away from such translation, because I believe that it this method is ultimately very limiting.). For example, in a newspaper article I can read something like Alcoolismo: principal fator de risco para saúde dos brasileiros (http://oglobo.globo.com/saude/alcoolismo-o-principal-fator-de-risco-para-saude-dos-brasileiros-7047521). Which is quite easy to translate directly. But what about "What about you?" Or "I bet you can't do it", etc. Smaller is more difficult, and more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment