Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I'm going to try applying the critical frequency concept to blogging. I would love want to have a successful blog, which can generate income. If other people can do it, why can't I? My ultimate goal, or one of them, is to be able to spend as much time as I want writing music. But I can't do that right now, because I have a full time job to pay the bills. So it would be nice to be able to create a product, like a blog, that can be a more productive and enjoyable way to make money. And, at my current job, I can work on the blog at work.

I have tried blogging in the past, but, like many other projects, I eventually faltered and stopped altogether. One of the main obstacles, as I perceive it, is feeling like I don't know what to talk about. But, as I have found in other areas of my life, like writing music, the best way to find what I want to talk about is to keep writing (talking) until I find it.

Which is what I will try to do here, bit by bit, but constantly. I have had, and continue to have, so many interests, and the trick is to try to harmonize them and create something cohesive and, eventually, income-generating. What is at the heart of my various interests over the years? What ties them together?

For one, the joy of learning, and a developing interest in learning about learning (meta-learning). I have always been an autodidact; teaching myself new things has always provided immense pleasure. But I have often been disturbed by what seems to me an inability to focus on one thing for an extended period of time. I often feel scatter-brained. The situation has improved a lot in the past year, mainly through daily meditation and just deeper self-knowledge and self-exploration. But I have recently been thinking, prompted by reading the work of people like Tim Ferriss and Khatzumoto, that it may be useful to not always assume that I am scatter-brained, but instead to find how best I can use this aspect of myself. Tim Ferriss, for example, has built a career, in part, from his obsession with learning skills, jumping one from to the other like I tend to do. Of course, as a writer, he has also had to learn how to produce sustained and disciplined work. But there is much to learn from his dedication to exploiting his obsessions.

I try to do a lot. I have been writing music since high school, and I consider it my most satisfying work, perhaps my calling (This "perhaps" is something that I need to sort out, though I am not entirely sure how. David Deida has a lot to say about this, particularly in his Way of the Superior Man.). Right now I am learning Brazilian Portuguese--my goal is fluency. I am dedicated to Zen meditation. And I want to create a blog, or something similar, that can make money. I try as much as possible to cut out areas of my life that aren't directly related to these goals--not spending unnecessary money on clothes or shoes, for example.

Anyway, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment