Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Starting

When I hear two different sources discussing the same idea, I pay attention. If I already respect both sources, I pay even more attention (not exactly that article I am looking for, but it's in the same vein). One such idea that I have been putting into practice lately is simply this: just get started.

When I first came across this simple yet powerful injunction, via Leo Babauta's blog (the first link above), I knew immediately that this would help me resolve a problem that has long disturbed me, and I imagine disturbs many. It's not just procrastination--it's the distinctive feeling of being so close to getting one's daily work, whatever that work may be, accomplished, as there were an invisible but palpable wall between one and one's work. How to get over the wall? It always feels so daunting. I wake up, and I know I need to meditate. But I'm in bed, I'll just stay here for a few minutes. I'll check a few e-mails before I go over to the chair or the mat. I'll get a snack first, so I'm not hungry and distracted. I'll do some straightening up. Maybe I'll take a shower first? The rationalizing never ends.

I've struggled with this a lot, and I bet you have too. So, how do you fix it? Remove the paralysis of the amount of time you're avoiding--20 minutes of meditation, an hour of writing, 30 minutes of running, whatever. Just start. Just sit down, and tell yourself that you'll just meditate for ten seconds. Sit at the desk with pen in hand. Stand outside with running shoes on. As long as you've done that, you're good. I think you'll be amazed by what can happen next as long as you just start.

From The Now Habit by Neil Fiore, Ph.D. (on Khatumoto's recommendation, of course): "Keep on starting, and finishing will take care of itself."

There is something very powerful in that statement. In particular I find in it a confirmation of a conviction I have, but often have difficulty in implementing: accomplishing something is not simply a matter of sheer will and force; it takes a certain humility and willingness to allow the "process" to happen of itself. I find this reaffirmed constantly when I write music. If I try to just "make it happen," it is quite painful and frustrating. But if I just sit down, if I just keep starting, eventually the process takes over and I feel more like I am swimming than carrying a ton of bricks up a hill, blindfolded, needing to pee. Of course, the challenges still arise, I still come up to a wall, or a valley, but I trust that by keep starting, keep "showing up," things eventually sort themselves out.

No comments:

Post a Comment