Thursday, December 27, 2012
Cidade de Deus was the first Brazilian movie I watched with the substitles (in Portuguese), and it was very illuminating. One of the main take-aways was the fact that the spoken vocabulary of the characters, an observation which I can assume extends to real life Brazilians, was very economical and surprisingly small in range. I've touched on this elsewhere, but it was amazing to see how few verbs were used, and the versatility of these verbs: fazer, dar, falar, ir...And when they were communicating ideas, it was very interesting to see how simple their communications were in comparison to what I would guess they would be. These observations have been supported by viewing other movies and following along. And again, when I come back to English, I observe how simple and "less is more" spoken language often is, especially in everyday, informal settings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment