One of the lessons I've learned in the past couple of months is that I can live more sharply. What do I mean by that? Well, take my penchant for buying clothing. For a while I wrote about the process of updating my wardrobe and finding my sense of style. But at a certain point, I had to decide if continuing to invest energy, which includes money, in this project was worth it. I discovered two role models for myself--Travis Gumbs and Joshua Kissi, the gentlemen behind Street Etiquette. I had to ask myself if I was willing to put in the amount of effort into the design/fashion game, to get where they were. If not, then I would need to re-focus my energy, and my money.
In other words, a clothing purchase for these guys can easily be channeled into furthering their career--they are photographed in the clothes they choose to wear, and they receive clients based on their continually refining their taste. I am not in that position, and I do not feel that it is my calling. So instead of giving into the temptation to buy a new pair of sneakers, it would behoove me to put that money towards studio time, to record some of my music. An obvious choice, but it has taken me a bit to understand this for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment